A place to converse as a community, about community...and other such things

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Discouraging Relinquishment, part 2

I know that orphanages have come up against this problem. I know that AHOPE has started a program to help the parents, or grandparents care for their kids as they would. They provide daycare, and food, and education and medication, and everything that they would provide for the children in their care, only they get to go home to their relatives at night. (please, someone, correct me if i'm wrong on my understanding of this).
I love this. I love this solution. I want to be a part of it. I don't want to encourage young moms to give up their babies. I want to help educate them on how to keep them healthy, and provide them the means neccessary to do so. It breaks my heart to hear of relinquishment that is neccessary because of lack of finances or fear of contracting HIV. I want to be a part of helping families stay together.
But, there are lots of reasons that this can't always happen. Many mothers and grandmothers are sick themselves, and have many children, and have no means to support them. So much needs to be done.
The question we are asking is 'where do we begin'. We are beginning by adopting two...but, as my momma said 'that won't solve all the problems' No. It won't. But it will change forever the lives of those two I say. But, I believe it's just a beginning. Where do we go from here? How else to help? How do we challenge others to play a role? What is our next step? Will we start an orphanage? Will we begin a program, like the one above? Both? What is next for us, oh God? Show us. Lead us. Help us follow you...and bring others along...

1 comment:

KayakGirl said...

So much does need to be done, about this problem and so many others. Good for you for being willing to do what you can and for being passionate about it.